Tuesday 11 December 2012

U-Bahn Man


Last night I went to this really sweet little bar in Rosenthaler Platz called Mein Haus am See.  Everything is
really low, dimly lit, vintagely furnished and generally too cool to function.

So my Australian friend's friend from New York was DJing- all very chilled disco, and pretty awesome.  Unfortunately, the U Bahn system during the week means that if you wanna get home before 4am, you need to leave around midnight.


(This sounds very sweet and Cinderella-like, but my sweet Cinderella days are long gone- I'd rather have some chilled out New York disco.  Sorry.)



Anyway, so I dashed away so I could get home on time.  Very very quickly though, I realised my relatively long journey home was going to be a bit of a mental and physical challenge- I quite desperately needed to go to the bathroom.  And yes, I was a little bit drunk- a fact I didn't acknowledge until I accidentally found myself on a U Bahn going the opposite direction to where I needed....

So when I caught the last train going to my apartment, I sat down and focused on playing the piano with my feet- a distraction from the other rather pressing matter on my mind.  As I was playing any piece I could possibly remember, I noticed a guy sitting on the other side of the train as me kept giggling and smiling.  I didn't really pay any attention- hell, I was playing a small symphony with my snow covered boots.

I looked up at him again and he was looking right at me and smiling- I panicked because I suddenly realised my quasi tipsy, mad foot tapping made me look like a drug casualty.  I kept my head down, but continued with my foot piano.



U Bahn Man got off at the stop before me, stood on the platform, waved and bowed to me through the window as the train went past.  So if I was inadvertently flirting, I didn't realise.... but I was totally charmed by U Bahn Man.  Going to keep an eye out for him and make friends with him, I think.

(As I was writing this last sentence, a cool looking girl in a hat came over and asked me to be a hair model for her.  WIN WIN WIN. And my friend who does graphic design is going to jazz up this site for me.  Wicked!)


1 comment:

  1. What's a U-Bahn...is it something like an Autobahn? Sorry for asking silly questions

    ReplyDelete