Friday 28 December 2012

5 GREAT drum songs


DANCE DANCE DANCE- Lykke Li & Bon Iver



Low fi, and really organic, I really really dig the percussion in this song.  I have a slightly different version on my mp3 player, which sounds like they are tapping wine glasses... but it doesn't matter.  The beauty of this wee tune is how delicate it is, yet, remaining toe tappingly percussive. 

It also reminds me of about 5,000 times when a party descends into mucking about with music and people grab anything to get involved.  Anytime I hear this, I feel inexplicably happy.

ONE LIFE STAND- Hot Chip



I know, I know. Everyone loves this track, its from 2009... Yeah, bit slow on the uptake here.  But I just think the percussion is why this song is so awesome, especially, especially, ESPECIALLY the steel drums.  

I used to think these lyrics were...almost like a joke?  I never used to believe guys in songs when they say really sincere stuff (hello cynicism!), and in many ways 'One Life Stand' should be really cheesy... but its not.  Its kind of nice actually? Anyway, a couple of days ago, I rode the train with my friend who told me all this stuff about his idea of a relationship.  It was pretty different from mine (I'm fairly into the concept of two awesome people remain two awesome entities who happen to be together, and not one boring couple), but it sounded so romantic, that I thought, "OK.  So some boys are insanely romantic."  

And it seems like one of these insanely romantic guys wrote this song.

TRUE ROMANCE- She Wants Revenge



I am SO behind the times with this, ok, I get it.  This whole sound has been and gone, I KNOW.  I downloaded a bunch of songs this year after rewatching 'True Romance' (great movie) and this was one that got caught up in the crossfire.  I realise it sound kind of like Marilyn Manson, but that deep, aggressive drum beat just drives the whole tune and I LOVE IT.  I really like the pseudo new-Romantic vocal as well, (because well, if you don't like that Depeche Mode style, well, whats wrong with you?)

& IT WAS U - How To Dress Well


This song is my favourite drum beat of the year, easily.  It seems really simple, and yeah, I guess it is really simple, but relying so heavily on the acapella and drum beat just makes this song ace.  When it kicks in about 1.30, well.... I have torn up dancefloors.  Which, given the song, seems unlikely...but trust me.  Its happened. [I think this song would also win the Grower of 2012 Award].

TIME TO DANCE- The Shoes

Umm, sorry if you haven't seen this video before.  Its pretty disturbing at the start (for about 2 minutes I think) before it kicks in.  Great cameo from the big chief Jake though (if anyone can tell me how The Shoes managed to secure him for this video, let alone this role, please, let me know)

Yeah, but when the drums start, the song HAS me.  Its the sort of beat that makes you want to go running, never stop moving, keep dancing.  Which is perfect for the song.  

The video, well, now I quite like it for the weirdness factor, but yeah, sorry if it offends anyone.




Love a good drum, me.  If you know of any good beats, let me know!!

-----

Also, took this photo the other night.  Look how GROSS my hand looks?!?!







No comments:

Post a Comment