Sunday 11 November 2012

The Beginning of the End

The story so far....

Catherine decides she must move to Berlin after standing near Alexanderplatz on a friend's bike and seeing two strangers cycle past.  A wave of good feeling overcomes her, and she thinks- I want to be a part of this city.  I love it.

Fast forward a few weeks, maybe a couple of months, and yes, everyday I have been doing things in anticipation of the big move.  The deposit on the apartment is paid, I'm whittling down job opportunities, I'm trying to keep in touch with my German friends a bit more.  But yesterday.  Yesterday was the first day it felt real.

#1.  My room was finally let.
When few friends of friends knew people who needed a room in a house, we went onto Gumtree.  Usually so helpful, all of the applicants this time were dribbling down a stream of uselessness.  Until yesterday- nice girl, liked the room, wants the room.  I am a nice girl and like this room too, so its weird that it will no longer be mine. Goodbye room.

#2. Guinea pigs went.
This morning, I had to go to work at the absolute crack of dawn.  I knew that the piggies would be getting picked up by my friend Leanne, who was taking them to her families' farm.  I hugged them and said my goodbyes- but wow, it feels weird without them now.  And I definitely did not make a montage video of me and the guinea pigs to Carly Simon's "Nobody Does It Better" last night.  Definitely not.

#3.  Last shift with a friend.
Adele is a super cool girl I know, and work with.  Half complete mental case, and half totally insightful and worldly curious girl, I always loved working with her.  A lot.  We both realised yesterday (as she is moving to Derry to do a show over Christmas)  that it was the last time we'd probably see each other for a while, let alone work together.  FEELS WEIRD.  I know this will be repeated a lot in the forthcoming 18 days, but still- I wasn't prepared.

So.  It turns out I really AM moving to Berlin.  Crikey.  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment