Tuesday 9 October 2012

Pattie Boyd. Love Heroine / The Difference Between Men and Women

Wow.

Walking into work today, one of my favourite Beatles tracks came on.

 "Something."

If you haven't heard it, here it is.  I hope you like it, it is one of my favourite Beatles tracks.  Written by George Harrison about Pattie Boyd- more about her later.



Today listening to it, I really listened to the lyrics.  You know how sometimes you can love a song but not really LISTEN to it? Today was the first time I noticed the lyric-

"You're asking me if my love'll grow? I don't know, I don't know.

You stick around now it may show, I don't know, I don't know."

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND WOMEN.

I thought this was strange. I have always thought 'Something' was my favourite Beatles love song, and in many ways, one of my favourite love songs of anyone.  But how strange.  When I'm in love, as a GIRL, I am consumed.  I only have one time to draw on for experience, but it was perhaps the worst thing that ever happened to me to break it off because I was so involved.  If the other person, at that time, had asked me 'if my love would grow' I would have said of course, absolutely.  Obviously I was wrong... but I would never have thought it.  As I discussed with friends earlier, I was on the front foot.  This song makes me think boys are on the back/reality foot, of not knowing and not promising.  How sad.  Being realistic is good of course, but being idealistic is better I think.  Sure it hurts more, but its also a better journey.

I confirmed this earlier with boys and girls, men and women.  Men agree, its better to be realistic.  You can't expect everything. Women agreed but said they do expect the dream anyway.  Yikes.


PATTIE BOYD



So my other great lesson of the day was about Pattie Boyd.  I was singing 'Something' all day, and a friend joined in.  He then told me a story I was vaguely aware of- The Great Rock Star Romantic Robbery.  When George Harrison's lady was stolen by Eric Clapton.  This Pattie Boyd character was the woman who inspired the songs 'Something' by George Harrison, and 'Layla' and 'Wonderful Tonight' by Eric Clapton.  She left Harrison for Clapton (WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?) but wow.   Imagine having songs of this magnitude written about you.  I have had one song written about me in my time, and it used to be that I couldn't hear it EVER.  Now when I hear it, I feel weird, like its about another person in another time.  I wonder how Pattie Boyd feels.


Layla -  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj8xjLQ9ofI

No comments:

Post a Comment