Monday 9 May 2011

Sigourney Weaver (no thanks!) and Memory Loss

Yawn, what a bummer last night turned out to be.  Upon rolling in to the festival marquee, Wally (my usually spot-on barometer of the quality of the night) trotted over.

"You working tonight?  Mmmm its going to be so gorgeous tonight, there's such beautiful piano work..." he oohed, before skipping away.  I was sceptical.  Fair enough, it looked like an okay line up- Rainy Boy Sleep (A Derry act) and John Grant.  [I did notice that once again it was an American folk singer, complete with beard and booze problems. Spot a pattern?!]

In accordance to these booze problems, John Grant had requested that the bar shut before his act.  To me this smacked dually of-

1- If I'm not drinking, no one is!
2- Diva!!  The night before, the act had also given off that people went to the bar during her set.  COME ON GUYS, it's a festival.  That really bugged me.  You're on stage! How much more attention do you need?!



Rainy Boy Sleep though, absolutely lovely.  Many of the bar staff, with our somewhat obscured view (not especially, but that was their excuse) thought initially he was a girl.  Right enough, he looks like a young enough wee pup, and his voice is on the higher side of tenor.  Who cares though- it was absolutely lovely.  He did do the now somewhat hackneyed Foy Vance-esque record, repeat, layer trick.  I'm sure that has a proper name but I don't know it. 

Definitely one of my highlights.  Rainy Boy Sleep and The Chipolatas- (a juggling group who pretneded to be from Germany....yeah I know....)



John Grant though.  Seriously.  I posted up on my Facebook profile that he was playing and got a gushing response from one of my friends, whom I accredit with good taste!!


"Just been listening to the Queen Of Denmark album. The man is goddamn genius. His band the Czars were incredible too."

Ok. So the guy had a few shitty relationships, drank a lot and struggled coming out.  Yeah, I get it, that is generally pretty solid material to make an album.  Certainly, the lyrics were...truthful?  I just felt that....How can I put this.  Wally was right, the piano was lovely.  But the shitty keyboard space effects were not.  Personally speaking, I do like a degree of distance in lyrics.  I mean, obviously I like to be able to relate, but when something sounds like it was literally chucked down on the page and recorded without a second thought...yeah not for me.  An example? 

And I feel just like Sigourney Weaver
When she had to kill those aliens
And one guy tried to get them back to the earth
And she couldn't believe her ears


I feel just like Winona Ryder
In that movie about vampires
And she couldn't get that accent right
Neither could that other guy

Christ, what?!  I dunno.  Maybe its some people's cup of tea (no, obviously it is, massive crowd in last night) but certainly not mine.  I know the bar staff are meant to stay behind on the last night of the festival to bond/unofficially drink all the kegs dry but I couldn't be arsed sitting to 4am in a windy tent.  As I said in the previous post- WHO KNEW?!
The Rest of The Weekend!!
Hmm.  Friday night I was convinced out by B.  We went round to her apartment, ate Chinese food, played Bowie, danced like fiends and DRANK.  Wine and gin.  Upon entry to Gigantic (click for a more conscious version of events) in town, we drank vodka and rum.  The rest of the night...well it basically becomes bullet point.
  • Saw Stu B for a second and was delighted. [Reality- I seemed to spend quite a long time with him and spent a good amount of time stroking his hair and encouraging others to do so]
  • Saw Jonny the DJs shoes. [Reality- I spoke to him much more and also encouraged him to stroke Stu's hair and told him about when I tried to seduce Stu B with a dead pigeon]
  • Saw my housemate. Danced. [Reality- According to Miss B, I was offerd any number of free drinks and had (her words) men swarming round.  I really really do not remember any of this.  Quietly proud that nothing will distract me from dancing!
That's it basically.  Woke up the next day with possibly King Hawk texting me- and I literally could hardly move my head to reply.  Oh crikey it was so bad.  I couldn't move until about 1pm, at which point I knew I had to mend my bike...yeah.  I bought a puncture repair kit from Poundworld (where "Two Tribes" by Frankie Goes to Hollywood came on and I nearly boked with the stress) and when I returned, and flipped my wee bike over....well, it wasn't happening.  I rang my friend in a close-to-tears state, who laughed and said he'd fix it for me and went back to bed.
Somehow at 9pm, B persuaded me to go out again.  She was on a hunt for her dream man, a doctor at her work.  We went to the Limelight of all place, sober.  Ahh Christ.  No way.  Left and went back to Lavery's.  Had a totally awesome night, of which I remember it all.  Oh, and B met her dream guy!! He was there!!  Brilliant.  I told you, I can solve all my friend's problems.... 


No comments:

Post a Comment